WHAT IS COACHING?
If you haven’t noticed already by the influx of people getting weekend certificates, coaching has a low barrier of entry. I joke with my clients that the only thing you need to do to become a coach is change your LinkedIn profile and voila!
That being said, there are a lot of unqualified coaches out there, making promises they may or may not be able to keep. You might have already had an experience like this. On the other hand there are also powerful coaches bringing the best out of people.
So what is coaching and what is it not? The International Coaching Federation describes coaching as “partnering with clients in a thought-provoking and creative process that inspires them to maximize their personal and professional potential”.
The Personal and Professional Coaching Association defined coaching as an “ongoing relationship, which focuses on clients taking action toward the realization of their visions, goals or desires.”
No matter your definition coaching follows these themes:
- A client focused partnership
- Inspiration to take action towards a desired outcome
- Seeking clarity through future looking
- Support in realizing your vision
- Non-directive growth in solving problems on your own
LEARN MORE ABOUT THE VALUE OF COACHING
Accountability partner: Holding you accountable to the agreed upon steps in achieving your vision.
Trainer/Teacher: Teach key-insights that will help you in progressing towards your desired outcome.
Mentor/Advisor: Sharing from personal experience on a specific topic to speed up your learning curve and avoid common pitfalls.
Therapy/Counseling: Coaching is not therapy or counseling, please contact an experienced professional if necessary. Instead coaching takes a future looking perspective in progressing on your goals.
YOU DON'T NEED A COACH
Nobody needs coaching, not even you. However coaching is no longer the luxury it used to be and has become accepted as a necessity in many fields across business.
You want coaching because it can help you…
- Advance your career
- Level-up your business
- Make more money
- Get a competitive edge
- Overcome great challenges
- Progress on your goals;
- And even develop better relationships
A coach is an investment in yourself and your future with the purpose of expediting the progress you make on your biggest goals, saving you time and money.
WHY SOME PEOPLE ARE NOT SUCCESSFUL WITH COACHING
1. Don’t know what coaching is – As a result they hire the wrong coach or expect something the coach cannot deliver.
2. Don’t know their objectives – Without clear objectives or desired deliverables there is no way to measure the success of coaching.
3. Hire the wrong person – A coaching relationship is built upon trust. Like any partnership, common values and style are important for a good fit.
4. Invest the wrong amount – Too little and don’t take it seriously. Too much and becomes a source of stress. Investing a little more than you’d like to spend on coaching provides motivation to get the most out of it.
CAP COACHING MODEL
Helping you gain clarity on your vision and develop the action steps to achieve your goals.
Holding a degree of accountability while developing the discipline to become self-reliant.
Unlocking your true potential by stretching beyond your capabilities and bring the best out of you.
THAT IS COACHING
And there you have it in a nutshell. By now you should have a good overview if coaching is a good fit for you right now.
When I first researched coaching, I felt like the statement “life-changing” was a bit exaggerated. Maybe I was naïve, could one hour with a coach really change my life?
But after my first experience with a powerful coach – my eyes were opened to the potential harnessed within coaching.
So much so that I decided to go into the profession myself, helping others realize their vision through transformational coaching experiences.
Have further questions? Still don’t know if coaching is right for you? Send me an email and let’s chat.
And if you’re ready to experience the power of coaching, connect with me Scott Rust and we’ll dive into a current challenge you’re facing and come to a resolution – for good.